The following is a list of immediate (not exhaustive) next steps policymakers and practitioners can take to protect youth in the justice system from COVID19.
(1) Immediately cease new admissions to juvenile detention and correctional facilities unless a determination is made that a youth is a substantial safety risk to others.
(2) Establish a Coronavirus safety plan.
(3) Fast-track the release of youth who do not pose a risk to public safety from juvenile detention and correctional facilities.
(4) Identify resources.
(5) Engage community stakeholders.
(6) Involve the philanthropic community.